Saturday, September 29, 2007

Forearms and Calves Muscles - Hard to Develop

I believe forearms and calves are often neglected by most bodybuilders. I also believe those two are very hard to develop. They need to be worked on just like abs - higher reps and very short rest time, and can be worked on 3+ days a week. 20 reps per set and rest time under 45 seconds are ideal. I usually do 3 sets of each, and I do them as the last workouts of the day. I workout my forearms and calves twice a week.

For forearms, I do them on Monday and Thursday. On Monday, I do behind-the-back barbell wrist curls. I do it with palms facing backwards, and I do it without my thumb. In my opinion, doing it without the thumb works your forearms harder and more effective. So just curl up the barbell with your 4 fingers both hands. On Thursday, I do seated barbell wrist curls. Sit on the edge of a bench with your feet shoulder-width apart. Place your forearms on your thighs with the bottom part of your wrists resting on your knees, and barbell in your hands. Let the bar! bell go as low as possible, and then curl it up with only your hands moving. Don't let your forearms move.

For calves, I do them on Monday and Friday. Both days, I do seated calve raises. You can try various alternatives to work on calves, but seated calve raises are my favorite. No matter which way you do it, always go as low as you can before you push yourself back up.

My greatest tip for effective forearm and calve development: Don't bounce from the bottom to the top. It's only going to cheat yourself in getting bigger forearms / calves. Give it a second before you lift back up.

To sum up forearm and calve workouts:

1.) Can be done more than three times a week

2.) Higher reps - preferably 20 reps per set

3.) 3-5 sets are ideal

4.) Under 45 seconds rest

5.) Don't bounce to just get the reps done and over with

Besides big biceps and chest, forearms and calves are also great beach body muscles. So get going and work on t! hem.

Kai L.
My Fitness Blog - http://chinesemuscles.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kai_Lo


Source: http://ezinearticles.com/?Forearms-and-Calves-Muscles-Hard-to-Develop&id=756151
Articles about Women s Interests.

No comments: